19-21 Pillar House,
WHAT WE DO
Doncaster Nightstop will provide safe emergency temporary accommodation for homeless young people aged 16-25 in the homes of trained volunteers.
Doncaster Nightstop is affiliated to Depaul NightstopUK
Around Britain in 2009 Nightstop services provided over 6800 nights of accommodation in volunteers homes, to over 1000 young people. Volunteers gave over 100,000 hours of their time. We want to bring this essential and much needed service to Doncaster.
NEED OUR HELP?
If you are:
- Aged 16-25
- Without dependant children
then we may be able to help you. Contact us on (01302) 361777 and ask for the Nightstop Service. If you want to be part of Nightstop we will need to speak to you in person and fill in some paperwork to help us decide if you are suitable for being placed with a host.
If you need help after 5pm in the evening, then you can still get in touch with us up until 8pm by telephoning (01302) 369360. The phone will be answered by staff that can try and ensure that you are not without somewhere to stay that night.
WHAT WE OFFER
Doncaster Nightstop can provide you with:
- Accommodation for a maximum of five nights in the home of a volunteer "host". You might not stay with the same host every night.
- Your own room in the hosts home
- An evening mealand breakfast the following morning
- Transport to and from the home you are staying in
- Access to washing facilities
- Help to either return home if appropriate or find more permanent accommodation
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU
Whilst working with Doncaster Nightstop, we expect you to:
- Treat the host and their home with respect and ensure that you have tidied up after you when you leave in the morning
- Not invite any friends or family around to the home where you are staying
- Not use any drugs or alcohol whilst staying in the "hosts" home. If you are not able to do this then you will not be considered for placement.
- Continue to work with The Young Persons Service and attend any appointments made for you. They will help you find something more permanent whilst you are on Nightstop.
HOW HAVE WE ALREADY HELPED PEOPLE?
Since Nightstop became "live" in June 2011 we have helped 21 young people to find alernative, suitable accommodation. (Figures as of Oct 2011) The types of accommodation we can help young people find includes:
- A room in a shared house. M25 Young Persons Service can provide you with support whislt you are living here until you feel able to manage by yourself.
- Supported Accommodation. We can help you apply to places like "The Foyer" and YMCA where you will get accommodation and a key worker to work with you whislt you are living there.
- Returning Home. In a lot of cases, the most suitable place for young people to go back home and if this is what you would like to do we can help you with this.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Nightstop cannot run without volunteers to act as hosts. Doncaster Nightstop is keen to hear from anyone in the Doncaster area who may have a spare room (even if it’s just whilst your children are away at university). Hosting opportunities are open to every type of household.
In return Doncaster Nightstop offers full training, 24 hour support and the opportunity to make a difference in your community. In addition we provide comprehensive expenses, ensuring our volunteers are not left out of pocket.
We also welcome enquiries from people who are keen to volunteer for the role of “driver” which involves ensuring that our young people are transported safely to and from the host’s home.
If you would like more information on Nightstop please contact Iona Edwards on (01302) 361 777 or e mail us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to see how Nightstop has worked in other towns and cities and how the service has helped homeless young people please visit the Depaul Nightstop web site at www.depaulnightstopuk.org
If you would like to apply download one of the following forms: